7/19/11

Bean or Bust

This morning Chris' mom surprised me with a bushel basket of beautiful, fresh green beans from her garden. We don't grow our own vegetables (yet), but occasionally we reap the benefits of all the green thumbs around us: A crown of broccoli here, a head of lettuce there... not a bad deal. While I love these scrumptious garden gifts, the huge amount of these things have me troubled. I'm up to my eyeballs in green beans, and can't let them go to waste. Help! So, I 'Googled it' (my answer to many a dilemma) and found this recipe. D-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s.

Roasted Green Beans with Dill Vinaigrette

Ingredients
-2 pounds fresh, trimmed green beans
-2 tablespoons olive oil
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1/2 teaspoon dried dill
-2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
-1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
-1 teaspoon white sugar
-1/2 teaspoon pepper

Directions
-Preheat oven to 450 degrees
-Combine beans in a casserole dish with salt and 1 tablespoon olive oil, and toss to coat
-Roast for 20-25 minutes
-Whisk together vinegar, mustard, sugar, dill, pepper and the remaining oil in a small bowl
-Drizzle dressing over green beans, toss to coat, and serve 

I bet you can guess what I had for lunch today!
While this recipe left my stomach full, the basket is also still full. So many beans, so little time... Any ideas?

4 comments:

  1. Ham, green beans and potatoes with home grown green beans is my favorite. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm, i love them raw. or with a dip, obvi. i wish i had these! they look so good in the pic. here are some good recipes i found on some good food blogs:

    http://www.howsweeteats.com/2011/06/green-bean-bacon-bundles/

    http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/vibrant-tasty-green-beans-recipe.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummm I loove green beans!
    We make this Italian version of potato salad that is yummy in the summer. Blanch the green beans, boil some potatoes. (We use red bliss, purple, and white potatoes for color)and cut them in to large-ish cubes when cooked through. Slice a good amount of red onions and put it all together in a big bowl. Dress with olive oil, white balsamic (or you can use red wine vinegar) and some salt and pepper. Toss. Its best after it has sat in the fridge and cooled a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the ideas ladies! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...